So you want to get your children outside, but find that time gets away from you?
Organise a Family Nature Club with your family and friends and make sure that you have a regular date with the outdoors!
What are Family Nature Clubs?
Family Nature Clubs are groups of families who gather together to share outdoor adventures and re-connect with nature together. All Family Nature Clubs share the basic goals to get out in nature on a regular basis and experience the benefits of time spent outside.
Each Family Nature Club is unique, in where they meet, how often they meet and what they do when they get together. (more below...)
How do I get started?
You can either:
- Contact an existing Family Nature Club to join their activities. You can find an existing Family Nature Club in our online directory, and contact them to join.
- Register your own Family Nature Club - To create your own Family Nature Club, just gather together friends and family, plan a few family-orientated activities outdoors and register your club.
The Family Nature Club Toolkit
For a bit more guidance, we have developed our Family Nature Club Toolkit. We hope it inspires you to get your own family and friends outdoors for many happy, healthy adventures together.
Click on the image to download the toolkit!
Benefits of Family Nature Clubs and Registering Your Club
Benefits of getting outdoors as part of a Family Nature Club include:
- Reconnect your children to nature – experience benefits that play in nature brings. Recent evidence indicates they will be happier, healthier, smarter, more self-disciplined and focused, more self-confident, creative, cooperative, better problem solvers, more optimistic and physically fit. Let them shake off some of the complexity of their usual lives and behave like kids again.
- Reconnect your family – bring your family together as you build confidence and work as a team while you try new things
- Make new friends – build friendships and breakdown barriers, including fear of strangers – since there is safety in numbers. Strengthen existing friendships.
- Share your collective knowledge – you can all benefit from each-other’s understanding of nature. Your collective knowledge is a wonderful asset! You can also share experiences and equipment.
- Stay motivated – it’s more likely you’ll keep your healthy outdoor play date if you have another family waiting for you.
- Create a ‘senses of place’ in your local area – children need to foster connections with natural places to create memories of a sense of ‘home’ and ‘self’.
- Consider creating an after school club – a regular mid-week outdoors adventure to blow off some steam together and break-up the week
- Increase social connectedness in your neighbourhood – this is a great opportunity to build relationships with like-minded others who are geographically close to you.
- Nourish your sense of community – live by the saying ‘it takes a village to raise a child…’
Nature Play QLD will help you and your Nature Play Club to:
- Find things to do – discover activities to do and places to go via the Nature Play QLD website. We’ve got hundreds of ideas, for all ages and locations!
- Unite families - bring your club together with families looking for groups to join, our help you find a group to join
- Get inspired - be inspired by blogs shared by other Family Nature Clubs, and contribute your own
- Access resources - such as activity and safety check-lists, ideas for invites, schedule and calendar templates, and more.
- Keep you up-to-date - with new activities and informative resources.
- Earn great prizes –
- receive prizes for your interaction with Nature Play QLD by sharing the stories of your Family Nature Club activities
- receive a Nature Play QLD goodie bag full of awesome Nature Play resources when you sign up at least three families to your club!
Still have questions? Don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected] or on 07 3367 1989.