Level 3 Forest School Leader Training - CANCELLED
Forest School Leader Training in Queensland has been hosted by Forest School Learning Initiative (FSLI) in partnership with Nature Play QLD since 2016. After a hugely successful first five rounds of training, FLSI (UK) are delighted to continue their partnership with Nature Play QLD and extend the provision of Forest School Leader Training to Queensland for a fourth year, enabling even more practitioners to lead Forest School Sessions in Australia.
This is a thorough training qualification that will provide you with the knowledge and skills to set up and run a Forest School.
May 2020 Course Cancelled - please contact FSLI directly at [email protected] for further information and updates on future dates.
Location: Myhorizon and IndigiScapes, 17 Runnymede Road, Capalaba
Cost: $2225 per person to include Open College Network West Midlands registration.
About The Course
The 5-day training consists of the teaching and learning of
- The ethos and practice of a forest school program and the links to educational theorists, the EYLF, National Quality Standards, My Time, Our Place and the Australian National Curriculum
- Children’s holistic development and how the approach links to self-esteem, resilience and emotional intelligence
- Risk management and health and safety policy and practice, including outdoor first aid scenarios
- Children’s brain development, learning styles, schemas and behavioural management at Forest School
- Observations and analysis of Forest School sessions with children
- The environmental impact and management of the Forest School site
- How to plan and evaluate Forest School sessions
- How to complete a ‘Forest School Handbook’ for your service
- An introduction to flora and fauna in Queensland and how to share the knowledge with children
- Common knots, lashing and building self-supporting structures and shelters
- Safe tool use, policy, practice and maintenance and woodcraft activities
- Fire lighting, management and safety cooking on a fire
- And much more…
- Early Childhood and Primary Teachers
- Educators with a Certificate 3 in Early Childhood Education and Care, Diploma, or equivalent experience
Delivered by: Training will be delivered by Christina Dee, Forest School Learning (FLSI). FSLI was established by two exceptionally experienced Forest School Leaders, in response to the need to extend Forest School provision. Christina Dee has been the leader of Forest School training since 2000. Along with her team they have trained in excess of 2000 Forest School Leaders and continue to support them in the development and implementation of Forest School all over the UK.
How does the training relate here in Australia? The Forest School Leader training will be tailored to support the Australian National Curriculum and Early Years Learning Framework. All practical session ideas, planning and recording documentation and presentations will relate to these learning outcomes. Health and Safety and Risk Benefit analysis input will also be tailored to the environment here in Queensland. The Forest School learning approach can be adapted to benefit any child in any environment. It is all about reconnecting our children with meaningful experiences in their local nature.
In order to gain the Level 3 qualification, requirements include:
- Attendance at the 5 day course
- 50 hours of additional study, set and marked, to support your implementation of your Forest School program
- A site visit and lesson observation by Anya Perkins, (some very remote locations may be allocated an alternative assessor).
If you have further questions or would like more information, please email Michelle on [email protected]
Level 3 Forest School Leader Training, October 2016. View blog
Feedback from former qualifying trainees
"What an amazing course to be a part of. I loved each day and how it was split with practical/theory. Very informative and the 4 leaders were great. Thank you so much. Feel blessed to be part of it all."
"Bloody fantastic! Loved the heart and soul that the teachers taught us with. The clarity and embracing of everyone on their individual path, with a common goal. I'm so honoured to have been a part of this."
"A full on, exhausting but amazingly inspiring course that I was lucky to be part of."
"This was intense, thought provoking, interesting and enjoyable training. A full-on week of learning, research, fun and friends."
"Most amazing experience. Have learnt so much about myslef in this completely unfamiliar environment. While I agree and promote outdoor learning, it is something that I was not comfortable doing, but now I feel as though I could do it!"
"This course was exactly what I needed to feel confident to begin my journey in offering a forest school program! I have found the health and safty aspects of the course most helpful and also the very practical ways to support children as they learn in a forest school environment."